Monday 17 November 2014

Presentation Research: Gel Transfer.

Canvas:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/457608012111691254/

My experience with printing onto canvas worked really well. I like the texture of the canvas as well as the softness it gives to the photographs. The faded, almost dated look was what I was trying to accomplish. I wanted the photographs to conflict, giving off an older feel, with some aspects of the modern world incorporated into them. The photographs look dated, with their black and white tones and an almost sepia aspect to them, the faded image and torn edges make them seem like they're from another time, yet the subject matter is that of a modern time. I like the way the canvas works with the photographs, and the white border gives it a gallery look to it. Also, having the photographs off the wall will make them stand out that little bit more.

Experimentation:
Initial experimentation with a coloured photograph, this experiment went well and paved the way to experiment with a larger scale as well as in black and white.



Wood:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/334392341056472166/

As much as I like the pictures of wood transfers I looked at, it didn't work so well for me. Maybe it was the surface or maybe it just didn't like the colour photograph I'm not sure. It was hard to tell when all the paper was off and you were just left with the transfer, it was also a bit nerve-racking  getting the paper off to begin with, I was conscious of the fact that it wasn't a completely smooth surface and the chance of getting a splinter was likely. I was hoping the wood transfer would work better than what it did and I was disappointed when it didn't come out the way I had initially thought it would. My second trial was little better, there wasn't as much detail in the photographs as I would've liked, but it works, just not as well as I would've liked.

Experimentation:
This was my first experimentation with wood and as you can see the picture isn't as clear as I'd hoped it would be. The wood was a little rough so when I tried to take the paper off, I started rubbing the picture off as well.

The second time I attempted to transfer a photograph onto wood was much more successful, but while the detail is there, it isn't as detailed as I'd hoped it would be. I think with a clear coat over top the colour may come out a little more. The third one was mildly successful, there was little detail in the darker areas though, which is the area I needed the most detail in with my actual prints. I liked the wood, but I was conscious of how I'd hang it. With the canvas I could hide the pins, but with wood it would take a little more thought.









Glass and other surfaces:
http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/transfers-and-lifts/acrylic-gel-lift-and-transfer

The clear plastic surface didn't work so well for me. The paper was hard to get off and when I did, it looked as if too much had come off. I liked the idea of the clear plastic, it was light and thin and would've been something a little different. The colours were dull when I peeled the paper off and there were bubbles between the print and the surface. It would've been okay if there weren't any bubbles because the reverse side was clear and the colours came out really well. I chose to print bright photographs to see how much detail I could get in the lighter parts of the photograph because there was a lot of white in my photographs. After seeing the results of the transfer onto plastic I decided not to try and print it onto glass. I don't think it will be much different, I think it will come off just as easily. I might try it as a side project, but for this particular assignment I think I'll leave it be.

Experimentation:


























Conclusion:

I liked the way the canvas looked the most. I don't know what it was, maybe it was the way it looked almost painterly or that it gave off a gallery feel with the white border. The white edges don't bother me so much, I think they give it a slightly scruffy feel which goes with the dated theme in the photograph, you would't expect older photographs to look brand new and I feel it goes well with the ripped edges in other parts of the image. Through trial and error I have decided that using the canvases was the best course of action. I spent a lot of time getting worked up over the small time frame that I had left. I like the canvases and the way they look, I don't particularly want to change them. None of the other surfaces gave me the same feeling that the canvases did, they didm't look as tidy or as well presented. The canvases are also the easiest ones to hang on the wall. The pins/nails will be invisible giving a cleaner look to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment