Tuesday 21 October 2014

Portfolio Research: Emmet Gowin.

Edith, Danville, Virginia, 1971. 10x8 inches.
Emmet Gowin is an American photographer that first gained attention in the 1970s. His photographs ranged from portraits of his wife, which is what started his interest in photography. I liked his portraiture photographs, the shadows and highlights. What I liked most was the close up of this image, even with the grain in the photograph there is still detail in her face. The grain means I can't see detail in her skin however, which is something I'm focusing on for my own photographs.

Ireland, 1972/1986. 8x10 inches.
The second image is an example of what I would like in terms of detail. I like that you can see all the lines and detail in the leaf. I also like the presentation, it works well for the image and I'm considering doing something similar for my own work. I like the vignette and the circular border. It reminds me of older photos done in a similar fashion with old frames. I think some of my photos may fit in with a similar style. It's a thought anyways, I wasn't sure how to present because they aren't exactly traditional photos, but I think this could be a way to mix traditional and contemporary to make the photos look a little more dated. I like the look of older photographs and for this I'll have all the perks of post production as well as sharp images, but in a style that appeals to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment